Thursday, March 16, 2017

Quiltin', Quiltin', Quiltin'

Yes, I've been taking time to quilt.  Hooray!

I posted about the three coordinated winter-themed runners I was making back on March 3rd.  I was 1) not particularly happy with them, and 2) disappointed in that I hadn't gotten them finished to use this (almost over now) winter season.

They very nearly got stuffed away in a "Works in Progress" box for me to finish for next winter.  But I knew if I did that I would never get the urge to work on them again.  Ever.  Probably.  Most likely.


So for the last couple of days I've been putting in spare time machine quilting them and putting on the bindings.  Now that they're done, I'm glad I did it.  Yep, I like them a lot better now that they are finished (maybe simply because they are finished!).  Since I won't pack away the snow/winter type decorations until the end of this month when the Easter/spring decorations come out, I put them in place today.


This is by the back door that we go in and out of all the time.  (The woven tray/basket holds mail to go to the Post Office and books to return to the library.)


One went on a storage cabinet that holds our (land line --- dinosaurs that we are) phone and answering machine on top.


The third is on a middle shelf of another storage unit that has a small kitchen TV and bookshelves above it.

Well, golldurn, why did I agonize over the looks of these three runners?  By the time I get them in place, they're mostly covered with things placed on top of them!

14 comments:

Rain said...

I think they look really nice and I love where you put them! You know, it took me a long time to get a smart phone...I'm a dinosaur at heart. I still barely use it, mostly to text my boyfriend back and forth when we're not on the same floor, oh the laziness lol...it's good for an emergency but having a land line was always nice. When we get settled, I'll have one again. I couldn't help admiring your raised beds out the window!!! :)

Sandy Livesay said...

Mama Pea,

You're amazing! Love your runners, the hard wire phone, and your recorder. I prefer hard wired phones over cell phones. Can we revert back in time??? Things would be so different, and maybe less stressful in the world.
Hugs,
Sandy

Vera said...

I am so in awe of your creative skills, which is a good thing because it inspires me to have a go myself.... I am still thinking over the mat making project you posted a blog about recently, and now I can also think about making more of an effort at engaging with patchwork after looking at your runners.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Beautiful! I bet it feels great to have those finished too. Now you can enjoy them.

Mama Pea said...

Rain - Thank you! We do have a cell phone but use it only when one of us is gone and might need to contact home.

My raised beds are covered with a dusting of snow this morning again . . . but not the inches forecast, at least.

Mama Pea said...

Sandy - And then there are the health hazards that are possibly caused by having cell phones (or smart phones, etc.) held up against your head so much! No thanks!

Mama Pea said...

Vera - Good, good, good! We need more folks to get back to using their hands in creative efforts rather than all this superficial technology! (Simply my opinion, of course.) Oh, and you're already so creative with your musical abilities. Play on!

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - I know you can relate to "making" yourself finish a project as you're so good at that. As I was wavering tossing the whole batch of them, I kept saying to myself, "What would Kristina do?" Thanks for the push you didn't know you gave me!

Farmer Barb said...

Isn't that the truth? All that work goes into the design and craftsmanship and then, blammo, it's a placemat.

Mama Pea said...

Farmer Barb - With a ketchup stain on it!! ;o}

Susan said...

I was so thrilled to read the title of this post! You've been in the quiltin' room! Hooray! What lovely, bright highlights those beautiful little runners must give your already-marvelous home!

Mama Pea said...

Susan - I spent the whole day in there yesterday (it was loverly!) as part of my recovery from a swollen gland episode. Which was not fun, but I'm thinking the down time was what I needed more than anything. Back to feeling my old sassy self this morning, but since this was a recurrence of the same thing I had a couple of weeks ago, I know I have to be careful not to over-do too soon. Yep, no question. I need to hire a maid and cook and house cleaner and spend all my time quilting. Makes sense to me. ;o]

Lisa said...

So glad you got to spent some quality time in your (awesome!) quilting room! They are gorgeous! Love those blues. Hope you are feeling better. :)

Mama Pea said...

Lisa - Thank you, thank you! I hit the homeopathic remedies hard for about three days and my swollen glands completely disappeared without turning into anything more bothersome.