Sunday, April 17, 2016

I Do Believe Spring Has Arrived

What a glorious weekend we've had.  Although today it made it to not much more than 60 degrees, yesterday was in the 70s and we hardly knew how to handle it.

The garden and many spots outside are still very wet and muddy so work in those areas has to wait a while, but there's much that can be done outside now.  It's so nice to work outdoors without my hands freezing within 10 or 15 minutes.


The poultry must line up by their pen doors because they shoot out each morning as eager beavers to scratch in the dirt, eat green grass shoots and head for the pond.  The grass in the picture above doesn't look very green, but you'll just have to take my word for it that there are indeed green shoots coming up and the poultry is definitely enjoying the fresh fodder.

This morning was very gray and we thought we were going to get the predicted rain showers, but the sun prevailed from about noon time on.  I'd like to hang the laundry outside tomorrow (for the first time this year), but the forecast I just saw said 80% chance of rain.

The precipitation would be bad for the mud situation, but good for making the rest of the snow disappear faster.


The goslings are growing so fast.  Yes, all four of them are huddled in that pile there.  No feathers showing yet to replace the soft fuzz, but I think they're starting to get their teenager faces already.  Looks like the one in the front is giving me the Evil Eye, doesn't it?  I'm convinced we have three males and one female rather than two of each sex we were supposed to get.  Unless the weather gets a lot warmer quickly and they can go outside, we'll have to make a bigger brooder box for them because when they stand up their heads almost touch the wire on the top.

I'm sitting here well satiated after our dinner tonight.  I was down to one package of cooked chicken or turkey in the freezer so picked up a turkey at our co-op this week and today made a full-blown turkey dinner, complete with pumpkin pie and whipped cream.  The turkey carcass has been picked clean and several packages of turkey are in the freezer.  I saved out a portion of meat to make into barbequed chicken tomorrow for sandwiches.

Yupper, it does seem like Mother Nature has finally gotten around to waving her spring time wand over northern Minnesota.  When I got up at 5 a.m. this morning for a potty stop, I could see the day starting to dawn.  Our long days of growing time can't be too far away.

22 comments:

Leigh said...

I know you must be delighted to see spring. May you have a glorious summer!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness ... You guys say yippee also :-) it must be a country thing :) yes I do believe spring has finally arrived in your area Mama Pea :-). Now to wait until the mud dries up a bit. Here it has been very dry and we are waiting for the rains.

Laurie said...

Well I know you are so happy that Spring has arrived. I told Cliff today that I want a clothesline. Let's see if that sinks in.

Nancy In Boise said...

Ah green! :)

Dawn said...

spring has been with us for almost a month but the grass seems slow in growing our plan for the next year is some serious land maintenance, it hasnt been looked after for almost 12 years by the previous owners, looking forward to seeing you get growing :-)

Sue said...

You mean, you didn't STAY UP at 5? Missed the best part of the morning!
:)

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

That was a lovely picture of your flock. Turkey dinner... what a treat! I hope you have two of each when it comes to your goslings. We were surprised by three roosters and one little hen once. We called them the three amigos. -Jenn

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Wow, glad to see the white stuff has left your homestead. Days are getting longer here too. I love coffee on the porch with a morning sunrise.

DDD said...

What a glorious picture of chickens & geese. Your family eat very well....

Mama Pea said...

Leigh - Thanks, Leigh. It does feel so good to be able to go outside without first donning a few layers of down! The mud boots are still the order of the day though. :o]

Mama Pea said...

mari - We're having a day of gentle rain today. Wish I could send you some. A too dry spring is never good. :o(

Mama Pea said...

Laurie - I hope you do get your clothesline, Laurie. You know the smell of laundry dried in the sunshine can't be beat!

Mama Pea said...

LHinB - I can hardly believe it, but with the rain this morning we can actually see the grasses greening up. Wahoo!

Mama Pea said...

Dawn - Oh, yes, even lawns and pastures need to be revitalized every now and then. But once summer gets going around here,and if we have adequate rainfall, our large poultry pasture tends to stay lush because of all the fertilizer that gets deposited on it!

Mama Pea said...

Sue - I know. I should have but I've been short on sleep lately. And for a person who really needs at least 8 hours of her beauty sleep each night . . . well, let's just say I've been looking like quite the old hag lately! :o]

Mama Pea said...

Jenn - Hubby still is hoping for the two males/two females ratio, but I'm skeptical. We haven't had a lot of luck with our female poultry lately having lost a female Cayuga and female Muscovy duck. Rats.

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - Well, the "white stuff" has not totally disappeared but the constant, gentle rain today will help. So what time is your morning sunrise these days?

Mama Pea said...

DDD - We do eat well! But, then again, I spend enough time on preparing food! Right now I have BBQ sauce simmering. Can you smell it? Delightful!

Sandy Livesay said...

Mama Pea,

It's starting to really look like spring up there in cold country.

Will you be using the turkey carcass for broth?

Susan said...

It looks glorious! I can't believe how much older those goslings look - how's your little (or not so little) patient doing? Got seeds started?

Mama Pea said...

Sandy - For sure. I don't think there is any taste comparison (let alone health benefits) of homemade bone broth and that you can buy. I was once told by a very good naturopath that after I picked a bird carcass of all the meat, not only the bones but all the grisly bits, skin, etc. (organic, of course) should go back in the pot to make the broth. Lots of good stuff in what you would normally throw away. It all gets strained out when you finish up the broth which comes out beautifully clear and full of healthy gelatin!

Mama Pea said...

Susan - She's doing just fine. Very small, but fine. Her foot hasn't changed since taking off the brace but she doesn't seem to know it's a little different than normal.

Some seeds are started. More scheduled for each week.