Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Checking In, Chugging Along, Happy at Home

I feel as though I'm a bit of a sham showing the "new" blog header photo of our Virginia Creeper in full, fall color.


The picture was not taken this year as you can see by the current above photo I took this morning.  I think we've succeeded in throwing the natural cycle of the plant totally out of whack this growing season.

Because of our house painting this summer, we had to take it off the side of the house and lay it down on the ground where it sadly languished (I'm imagining) for more than a week.  When we removed it from the siding, it had already made great strides toward climging up the strings and traveling toward the windows on the right and left of it.

When the time came to put it back up, there was no way I could save all the lush growth so it got a rather severe haircut.  Now it looks to be a good couple of months behind where it should be this time of year.  I'm hoping after a winter's rest and recuperation period, it will be back to normal next spring. 

* * * * * * * * * *

We've been busy gathering the stored storm windows, cleaning them up, taking down the screens and installing the storms on the windows in preparation for the upcoming heating season.

Cooler fall weather can't arrive soon enough for me.  After a week or so ago of truly autumnal feeling weather, some of our heat (but not humidity, thank you very much) has returned and we've lost those low temps that make for good sleeping at night.  The two bedroom windows (no storms on them yet) are wide open again, but there's not much cool night air to come in.

* * * * * * * * * *

The garden looks different this year than it usually does at the middle of September.  My flowers are creating a riot of color just now because of the slow start they got this early (and very cool) spring and summer.  Looking out at the lushness of it all tricks me into thinking the calendar should be showing August 15th rather than September 15th.

* * * * * * * * * *

The windows in Papa Pea's office upstairs are identical to the ones below it in our living room, and we finally located the snap-in grids, still in their original packaging, that go up there so I'm putting the finish on them today.  And maybe finding time to work in the garden on more clean-up, too.  Or sit for a while out on our new deck on which we haven't even taken the time yet to place the outdoor furniture.  

It seems there's no trouble filling the days no matter what time of year it is.  Good thing we enjoy what we're doing and can see the progress at making our environment just the way we want it.

24 comments:

DFW said...

I'ms sure the climber will come back. Sorry your heat came back. We had 1 teaser night but at least it's cloudy & not oppressive. I can't even imagine replacing screen w/storm windows every year. I guess you guys are used to it though. House looks great by the way!

Sandy Livesay said...

Mama Pea,

Your creeper is gorgeous green or in the true fall colors :-)
Giving it a hair cut may help it along even more.
It does feel strange, were already into September, and the garden beds are growing at a thinner pace.

Be careful lifting and placing those storm windows......I see you're preparing for winter already. Before you know it snow will be knocking at your door.
Hugs,
Sandy

Laurie said...

Wow! You have boundless energy...and a lot to do. And I love reading about it.

Mama Pea said...

DFW - At least our "storm" windows are much easier to handle than the old fashioned kind. And the glass over the bottom of them can be shoved up to reveal a screen which we tend to use a lot for fresh air ventilation even in the winter time. Thanks for your nice words about the new house paint!

Mama Pea said...

Sandy - My husband would be happy if the Virginia Creeper stayed on the smaller side. He doesn't like it when it covers the windows on either side of it!

We usually don't get any heavy snow cover until December, but we can sure get cold weather before then.

Mama Pea said...

Laurie - Thanks, my friend. You're also so encouraging!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

We are getting the heat here too again. Looks like you haven't run out of things to do, ha ha!

Mama Pea said...

Kristina - ARRRGH! I just came in from a day in the garden and I am literally dripping wet! More heat and that ol' ugly HUMIDITY! Supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow so maybe that will cool things off. Hope so.

Let's face it . . . if any of us ever did run out of things to do, we'd fill the time with a gazillion FUN things to do that we never seem to find time for!!!!!

Cat Eye Cottage said...

My Virginia Creeper would laugh at yours. Virginia Creeper is a four letter word at my house. It is so invasive! I'm glad someone gets some joy out of it. :-)

Mama Pea said...

Bottle Tree Farm - I know, I know! In other parts of the country Virginia Creeper is VERY invasive. Same with Morning Glories that I intentionally plant in my garden each year. You folks in kinder climates think I'm absolutely nuts for cultivating them. Up here in the far north, we don't have too much trouble with plants surviving on their own (and getting out of hand) without lotsa help! Strange, isn't it? :o)

historypak said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
gld said...

Make time to enjoy that deck before winter! We are reminding ourselves daily to enjoy the newly screened in porch.

Don't worry about that Va. creeper. I can't kill them down here in the lower midwest. I left a plant out front on the sprayed ditch so I could just let it roam on the ground and enjoy the color.

Mama Pea said...

gld - " . . . make time to enjoy that deck . . . " Yes, yes, yes! 'Course the only problem is that at this time of year, we're also scrambling to finish up all those little jobs and tasks that neeeed to be done before winter! But you know how that goes as you've got a lot bigger place than we do, plus all your animals.

I've had this Virginia Creeper for nearly 20 years and it certainly does thrive without a whole heckuva lot of care. I know it can be invasive in some places, but I really do enjoy ours here.

Unknown said...

Mama Pea you just don't worry about feeling like a fraud on the creeper. You are just giving us a picture of what it will be again in the near future. You are showing its potential "smile" . Your color choice is lovely on the house. We are painting ours right now and it is similar but not quite as dark.Here in NC we have to worry over heat gain in the summers. So we chose a mid range grey color.
Enjoy the time on your deck. Before you know it, winter will be here and it will be time to do our indoor activities. Have a blessed day, Diana

Mama Pea said...

Diane - I'm really curious to see how the Virginia Creeper does end out the season this year. Even though it won't do much more climbing on the house (or windows as my dear hubby dislikes!), if it turns the usual gorgeous red against the new color of the house I'll really enjoy that.

Good thought on not painting your house so dark. We've been wondering if we'll notice any difference in our house in the summer time. We seem to have done something right in our insulation, etc. because the inside has always stayed quite cool even in the warmest weather. Will this new dark color make a difference? Sure hope not! :o)

Thanks for the nice note!

Cat Eye Cottage said...

Oh, don't get me started about morning glories! You had to mention those. LOL!

Mama Pea said...

See what I mean?! Hee-hee. ;o]

Susan said...

I wish I would have planted a Virginia Creeper instead of a hops vine - geez those things are scary! Love the color - am I repeating myself?

Mama Pea said...

Susan - Repeating yourself? Nope, but I do think you've been working too hard. ;o]

When you planted the hops vine, were you thinking of making some beer?

Leigh said...

I planted a hops vine this year too, but it's potted so growth hasn't been impressive. But we have Virginia Creeper growing everywhere! I have no use for it 'cuz the goats can't eat it. Susan, I should send you some. :)

Leigh said...

Tis the season for autumn chores! We need to get busy on ours too. I remember my grandparents changing the screens to storm windows, but around here, they come as a two in one deal. Except they are aluminum!

Mama Pea said...

Leigh - I must admit that there are a couple of windows on our house where we leave the full size screen on year 'round for maximum ventilation. (We sometimes fire up the old wood stove a little too vigorously!) Our storm windows are nice in that the bottom glass slides all the way up to reveal a full half screen for ventilation also. With the glass in the down position, we get full protection from the elements. Since we're fresh air fiends, we take the storms off in the spring and put the full screens back up. A bit of work, but hey, we need the exercise! ;o}

Mark said...

You are a busy lady!! It's busy enough with the "normal" fall activities, but with your odd summer and 'extended season' your getting a 'hitch' in the whole fall routine giddy-up!.

Mama Pea said...

Mark - There's always something to keep us on our toes, isn't there? :o}